We, the officials and employees
of the Department of Agriculture Regional Field Unit I,
with the help of the Almighty God,
do hereby pledge
to commit and dedicate ourselves in the performance
of our sworn duties within the bounds of all laws
guaranteeing the speedy delivery of our frontline services
most particularly with RA 9485 as enshrined in this
In so doing, and through collaboration with Local Government Units (LGUs),
Non-Government Organizations (NGOs), and other
National Government Agencies (NGAs), we shall endeavor
to sustain faithfully the provision of timely support services
and technical assistance, among others, to pave the way
for competitive agricultural productivity in the countryside
to ensure that production inputs and services are available
to farmers, fisherfolk and all other stakeholders
to be able to actively play our respective roles in the development
of the agriculture and fisheries sector in the pursuit of
Food Security and Sufficiency.
The Department of Agriculture is the government agency responsible for the promotion of agricultural development by providing the policy framework, public investments, and support services needed for domestic and export-oriented business enterprises.
In the fulfillment of this mandate, it shall be the primary concern of the Department to improve farm income and generate work opportunities for farmers, fishermen, and other rural workers. It shall encourage people’s participation in agricultural development through sectoral representation in agricultural policy-making bodies so that the policies, plans and programs of the Department are formulated and executed to satisfy their needs.
It shall ensure social justice, equity, productivity and sustainability in the use of agricultural resources.
Powers and Functions
- Provide integrated services to farmers, fishermen, and other food producers on production, utilization, conservation and disposition of agricultural and fishery resources;
- Be responsible for the planning, formulation, execution, regulation, and monitoring of programs and activities relating to agriculture, food production and supply;
- Promulgate and enforce all laws, rules, and regulations governing the conservation and proper utilization of agricultural and fishery resources;
- Establish central and regional information systems to serve the production, marketing and financing data requirements of the farmers as well as domestic and foreign investors in agribusiness ventures;
- Provide comprehensive and effective extension services and training to farmers and other agricultural entrepreneurs on the production, marketing and financing aspects of agricultural enterprises;
- Conduct, coordinate, and disseminate research studies on appropriate technologies for the improvement and development of agricultural crops, fisheries, and other allied commodities;
- Provide the mechanism for the participation of farmers, fishermen, and entrepreneurs at all levels of policy-making, planning and program formulation;
- Coordinate with and enlist other public and private agencies for cooperation and assistance on matters affecting the policies, plans and programs of the Department.
. . . an Agriculture and Fishery Sector in Ilocos Region that showcases agricultural productivity where people have access to nourishing and affordable food; farmers and fisherfolks possessing competitive skills, producing globally-competitive commodities and enjoying high profitability and income.
. . . to create an environment conducive to agricultural productivity through the adoption of sound policies; efficient delivery of services and interventions responsive to the needs of the sector and its clientele; private sector initiatives through strengthened Agriculture & Fishery Councils; and fostering stronger NGO-LGU-NGA partnerships and collaboration.
v Job Generation
v Poverty Alleviation
v Increased Income
v Food Security and Sufficiency
Centerpiece of Agricultural Development
The centerpiece of agricultural development is the Agri-Pinoy which serves as the blueprint to operationalize the Agriculture and Fisheries Modernization Act as provided in RA 8435.
The following are the banner programs under the Agri-Pinoy:
4. High Value Commercial Crops
Major Final Outputs
In the performance of its mandate and functions alongside the vision and mission, the DA RFU-I is guided by the following as its major final outputs.
Installation, Construction and Rehabilitation of Shallow Tubewells (STW), Small Water Impounding Projects (SWIP), Small Farm Reservoirs (SFR), Diversion Dams (DD), and Drip Irrigation Systems (DIS)
2. Post-Harvest Facilities and Farm Equipment
Procurement and distribution of Corn Shellers, Threshers, Reapers, Recirculating Dryers, Vapor Heat Treatment (VHT), Forage Choppers, Hammer Mills, Incubators, and Power Tillers, Flatbed Dryers, Tractors, Warehouse/Seed Storage House, Multi-purpose Drying Pavements.
3. Agro-Industry Modernization Credit and Financing
a. Multi-Livestock Development Loan Program
b. Animal Modules on Swine and Goat
c. Credit/Technical Assistance for Feasibility Studies or Project Proposal
4. Farmer-Fisherfolk Marketing Assistance
Market matching, Price Monitoring, Monitoring & Assistance to Livestock Auction Markets.
5. Research and Development
- Conduct of research on priority commodities
- Conduct of Techno Demo for crops & livestock to showcase latest technologies
- Conduct of participatory technology development in corn cluster areas
- Laboratory Support Services
- Soil & Water Analysis
- Feed Analysis
- Tissue Culture
- Animal Disease Diagnostic Services
- Conduct of various training such as Farmers Field Schools (FFS) for Rice and Corn; School-On-the-Air Program (SOAP); Mango & Vegetable Integrated Pest Management; Food Processing and Gender & Development.
- Conduct of advocacy & information thru production and distribution of IEC materials; press releases and radiograms.
- National Information Network
6. Capability-Building of Farmers & Fisherfolk Organizations and Local Government Units
7. Support to Extension Workers under the Local Government Units
Granting of incentive allowances and traveling expenses.
Procurement of computer hardware & softwares capable of video, data, voice and fax transmissions over a network spanning across central and regional offices with links to provincial local government units.
9. Regulatory Services
a. Maintenance of Veterinary quarantine checkpoints
b. Issuance of permits for import and export
c. Monitoring of feed establishments
d. Inspection of animal farms in the enforcement of Animal Welfare Act (RA 8485)
10. Production Support Services
a. Procurement & distribution of high quality registered seeds and planting materials
b. Strengthening of multiplier farms and production centers for animal breeders
c. Maintenance of foundation scion groves in research stations
d. Production & distribution of Trichogramma evanesce for corn and Trichogramma chilonis for tomato.
e. Development & maintenance of forage and pasture areas in breeding stations.
11. Human Resource Development
Assistance to personnel in the pursuance of diploma courses and specialized training.
12. Program Management
Conduct of planning and budgeting workshops; monitoring and evaluation of banner programs; and consultation-dialogues with stakeholders.
Laboratory Services include Soil Analysis, Water Analysis, Special Assay Tests and Animal Disease Diagnostic and Animal Feed Laboratory Services
- Soil Analysis Service
- Special Assay Test
- Water Analysis for Irrigation Suitability Tests
- Feed Analysis
- Animal Disease Diagnostic Service
ISSUANCE OF PERMITS AND LICENSES
- Issuance of License to Operate as Feed and Veterinary Drug and Product Outlets
- Issuance of License to Livestock and Poultry Handlers (LPH) and Livestock and Poultry Carriers (LPC)
- Issuance of Veterinary Health Certificate and Shipping Permit
- Issuance of Phyto-Sanitary Certificate
- Issuance of Certificate for Land Use Reclassification
- Accreditation of Veterinarians to Conduct Dog Shows
- Accreditation of Food Lane
- Provision of Subsidized Hybrid and Inbred Rice Seeds
- Provision of Livelihood Commodity Assistance Animal Module
- Provision of Vegetable Seed Under the Expanded Vegetable Program